My photo
"Where better to care for the soul than in the details of our daily lives?....The soul has an absolute, unforgiving need for regular excursions into enchantment. It requires them like the body needs food and the mind needs thought... An enchanted world is one that speaks to the soul, to the mysterious depths of the heart and imagination where we find value, love and union with the world around us. As mystics of many religions have taught, that sense of rapturous union can give a sense of fulfillment that makes life purposeful and vibrant." ~ Thomas Moore.

Monday, May 21, 2012

Garden Gate Upgraded Again.....

In my last post Here I posted about what I did to the front gate. I've always loved the detailed wrought iron scrollwork you find on ancient seeming doors when they used to be done with not just function but with beauty. I posted a couple of pictures of doors I'd love like this






or any of these.........

 





But alas, those require funds and artisans neither of which I'm in touch with in this life.....at this time :D

Sooooo.......as I'd been looking through all kinds of pics online even as recently as 2 days ago, I tried to figure out how I can create a look like this without the expense or need to travel to another time to find such beautiful ways to makes doors beautiful.
As I was googling online again studying some pictures and trying to figure out how to get close to this with what I have available here in our time and place, for I am convinced almost anything can be done, really, some ideas did come to mind as I'd seen some interesting metal garden wall pieces sold at many stores like Target, TJ Maxx and others like that.....only I'd never thought of a place......

UNTIL NOW ! lol :D:D:D

As serendipity would have it, I did have to go out today for some food actually, and there was a store I'd never been into next to my favorite Italian Market, and when I came out I looked at it and said, "Ive never been in there what do they sell, let me just look inside''.

LO and BeHOLD ! there in the back, on the wall were hanging some heavy rusted iron work decorated  filigree crosses, old time door knockers, and other things, nice and flat to be hung, not on a wall, as it happens in my case, but on a GATE !
I was thrilled! What were the chances that I'd be looking for a specific item and find it? hardly. But here I wasn't looking and there they were.....
In iron door scroll work, the hinges is where the art work stems from mostly......and so I needed three of something, to attach to the 3 hinges on my gate.....and they did have three :D:D:D
I grabbed the doorknocker and some crosses but I'd need quite a few to make an interesting pattern as the crosses themselves were a bit small.

I wandered around the store a bit more and there was a section that was 50% off, and when I looked up I saw something very interesting......GRINS.......and they had three....:D:D:D.....and they were 50% off.
I didn't have to think about this since I only had $15.00 to spend without getting into trouble.
I went to pay for them.

The Serendipity continues......
When I got to the register with my three items, the cashier lady looked at them and said "the keys to the kingdom''?.......and that is when I knew exactly what I wanted to say on my front gate...as I also wanted to have some words on the Gate to let people know the DoorWay to which they were standing in front of and in addition to the words ''Fairy Cottage and Garden'', I wanted to have something else, and she just uttered the beginnings of it. In my mind I finished it and decided that's what I was going to put on the Doorway.

"The Keys to the Kingdom, Are Held By the Gardeners of the World."

I got home and went to work. I had to paint over the center medallion stencil and a bit from the top to make the metalwork look right, and so I did that. I also couldn't decide whether or not to leave them black or paint them to match the hinges.....matching the hinges won out. And so I did that, and attached them 'somewhat' to the door.....and I am most pleased! While I love the stenciled work, I love even more layers of textures.
I'm getting closer to the kind of GateWay, or Doorway I want.....which is more a portal of some kind into another world.....my world, a world of magic and beauty......and the GateWay tells you so.

As it was .....

 


this morning..........






And now:......



I added a lion head knocker since it was lying on the table for the other door unused. Now its has a place.






The Key..........very nice meaning and significance, and works well with what I'm going to write on the door soon....
....ish.

As it was black, which was great, but clashed a bit too much with the hinges. I needed it to blend.






























Do you have garden?
Does it have a marker? an in-between place? a doorway, a gate? something that tells people they are entering a world of Nature, fun and Play? a world of your own making?

What does your garden gate or doorway look like? What does it hint of when people stand before it?

Does it cause people to pause, and feel..........that maybe they are entering a place of miracles and wonder?

Does it say something to the observer?

Does it invite?

Does it keep out?

Do you want to invite playfulness into your world?

Anyone can go to TJ Maxx, Beall's Outlet, Marshalls, Home Goods, Target, JoAnn's Fabrics, etc......and find some garden metal work and attach them to their doors and gates! Lets Play!


Any opinions or suggestions would be welcome :D

blessings.

Sharing this post with A Stroll Thru Life: Table Top Tuesday 

and with Faded Charm: ~White Wednesday 

and with No Minimalist Here: Open House Party  

and with Savvy Southern Style 

and with Beyond The Picket Fence: Under $100.00 

and with The Shabby Creek Cottage  

and with The Charm of Home: Home Sweet Home  

and with FRENCH COUNTRY COTTAGE: Feathered Nest Friday

and with From My Front Porch to Yours 

and with Chic on a Shoestring Decorating: Flaunt it Friday 

and Curb Alert Friday Block Party

25 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness--I love those! That looks perfect. What a lucky find!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh goodness.....dear friend....you did a marvelous job on that gate. I really like how it turned out.

    xo

    Jo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thank you Jo, I like it too, but its still unfinished...more to come :D

      Delete
  3. Your gate has so much personality now. Love your idea!
    Mary Alice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello!
    I'm your newest follower :)
    I just LOVE your garden gate, it is certainly inviting!!

    Have a wonderful week!
    Aledia @ Plum Perfect

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my what treasures lie behind that magic portal? Wonderful, just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your gate looks beautiful with the new adornments..Happy Tuesday..Judy

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh I love it. What a creative idea. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

    ReplyDelete
  8. The gate looks wonderful.

    You have a gorgeous blog. I'm a new follower. :-)

    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  9. This just keeps getting better & better....what an excellent idea!!!! and very affordable too which is a good thing in my books!!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah Linda, "affordable" is the primary directive LOL...or no cost at all. But I was ok with this, and I will keep looking for the Hobbit Door ironwork....I still have to write something on the Gate too....more to come :D

      Delete
  10. So cute! I would have never thought to do that. Love the way it turned out, thanks for the inspiration!
    I would love to invite you to join us and link up at our Friday Block Party at Curb Alert! The link is live now and throughout the weekend. Hope to see you there!
    http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/05/friday-block-party-6-feature-from-party.html
    Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the additons to your gate, they make the gate really special! Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. So inspiring! You did a lovely job. It looks like a gate to an enchanted place.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your updated gate - it looks wonderful and enchanting. I have a lattice gate on my garden but have to think on how to enhance it now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much for linking up to our previous Friday Block Party at Curb Alert! I would love for you to link up again this week and look forward to what you have to share, the link is up and running all weekend.
    http://tamicurbalert.blogspot.com/2012/06/welcome-to-another-week-friday-block.html
    Thanks! Tami @ Curb Alert!

    ReplyDelete
  15. It's like your own secret garden! I love it. The hardware on the door is really neat too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love the garden gate!! You did a great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I so loved this post-- I know that its been a long time since you posted it - but that serendiptious story was just incredible and your gate looks so beautiful, it truly marks the entrance to an enchanted place and makes the heart flutter with anticipation at the delights one might find and see---and wonder : will there be fairies waiting to greet me?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Harplight, for reading especially after all this time. lol. I had to read this post again and it felt like I was reading from another lifetime, so much has happened since then....but I could remember as I read the experiences and how fun it felt to make my little gate. I don't have those keys anymore, I couldn't take everything with me when I moved....and moved again since then, but I am still dreaming, and intending for magical gateways to magical realms! Thank you!

      Delete

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated and responded to when possible.