My photo
"Where better to care for the soul than in the details of our daily lives?....The soul has an absolute, unforgiving need for regular excursions into enchantment. It requires them like the body needs food and the mind needs thought... An enchanted world is one that speaks to the soul, to the mysterious depths of the heart and imagination where we find value, love and union with the world around us. As mystics of many religions have taught, that sense of rapturous union can give a sense of fulfillment that makes life purposeful and vibrant." ~ Thomas Moore.

Sunday, September 29, 2019

DIY Gorgeous $35 Meditation Bench/Stool For Slow Living

Hello Bloglandia.........

Its not been so long this time, and I am happy to make another post to share. This is a simple project that I have fallen in love with. It came upon me when I was sitting on my rug and just staring out, zoning out at the grass and trees. There is something about the shed which causes me to relax all the time, I don't know what it is......until yesterday, I figured it out, more on that later.

One day I was in the shed trying to do my stretching/yoga, and it just wasn't happening. So I sat up and looked out at the view of the Beautiful Green......when I realized that I was in pain in that cross legged position, which I never used to be, but now for some reason sitting cross legged hurts. I knew that I needed to elevate my rear and that I need a low seat. And thus this vision came to me on the spot because I had seen the round wood in home depot while getting supplies for another bench I want to make, and I knew I'd need this round one day, and so that day came complete with the vision in tact, and a project was born.



Does that happen to you? You see something in the store and you say, "OH! I need that!", but you don't know for what, and so you pass it up, and INEVITABLY within short time, you have to do something that requires that exact thing you left in the store and have to go back for? It happens to me ALL the time. I will see something and say ''I need that!!'', and I don't buy it because I don't know what for, and then comes the time when I need it and have to go back for it. Even the housemate sees this. So what do I do now? I don't leave it in the store anymore, because I hate having to go out for little things. Now I have the mysterious objects that scream at me from the shelves on hand, and it is a pleasure to have that project come along and have what I need already here! That's been fun lately. I love saying to john, "see?! told you! ha"...isn't that odd.......lol.


As the title says, its a do it yourself Meditation Bench or Tea Stool, so easy so pretty. It can be used for simply sitting cross legged facing your favorite view, or it can be a plant stand or fish bowl stand, use your imagination. A second one can be made with the slightly taller legs and placed beside it as a Tea Table, which is something I'm hoping to make soon. It will be perfect with the shorter bench!
Because I simply LOVE sitting in the shed with the view of the fountain bird bath and Quan Yin and imagine having a lovely tea there! (if my camera batteries recharge before I finish this post, I can upload a picture of that.)
 
This project cost $35.00 roughly.

Now I have googled Meditation Benches and all of them were over $100.00, and not even pretty. Sigh. So I think this Meditation Bench/Stool was a genius vision and is well worth it. It takes only 2 days to complete, mostly because of drying times, (and because I move slowly these days)...... but it is effortless and beautiful.

All the supplies were from Home Depot except the stencil.

Supplies: 

18" round around $7.00
Four 6" legs, around $3.35 each
Red Oak stain around $5.00
polyurethane gloss around $10.00
2 paint brushes, one nylon for varnish and one natural for the stain. I had these also.
Mandala stencil around $6.00 (amazon) or you can look in Michaels, JoAnnes or Hobby Lobby.
I had the wood glue and liquid gold leaf. But but you can let your imagine go wild with what you want to see on your bench. Would be nice if you can do your own artwork. But stencils are beautiful. You can make the making of this bench a meditation in itself, and go all out with creativity. My own mind is going all over the place with more visions of these, but truly I only need one, and a slightly taller one for a tea table. :D:D:D









First I stained the wood as it is, no sanding at all in this project......let it dry on one side, did the other side and the edges and then I stained the legs. The round and legs both got only one coat of stain as it was pretty dark. You can choose what color stain you prefer.
I then gave the legs and round 2 coats of polyurethane. I wanted it glossy but this varnish did not give the effect I wanted. Turns out what I really wanted to see was a glass like finish which can only come from resin which I am contemplating.

Then I stenciled both sides with a mandala using liquid gold leaf, and a stencil from amazon. They have many to choose from, all beautiful. Mine is 12" in diameter which leaves a nice border on the 18" round. You have to be careful with stenciling because a sloppy stencil is just not satisfying and the liquid gold leaf is very watery and cannot be fixed, so caution is needed with that medium. I also gold leafed the round edge. After the gold leaf dried, I varnished it with 3 more coats. I am still wanting to see the glass like finish, and I think I will apply resin later.
Once the poly varnish was dry, I had my housemate drill 4 shallow holes for the screw-on-legs in the positions I wanted, and I wanted the legs close to the edge of the round to be stable once I sat on it....added wood glue, screw on legs, let dry. Done and beautiful.






 








 It is so satisfying to come out of my sauna which always feels amazing and I adore for deep cleansing and purifying, and then to sit on the bench and see the view and just relax.









 So, back to why I feel so relaxed in here? Its not just the sauna, nor the stretching nor the view of the green expanse.......cause it even happens when I'm exhausted or in too much pain as well....something calming happens. And yesterday as I was falling into the zone on the rug after another failed attempt at a stretch/yoga session, I was so curious as to why it was happening again.......I looked around and realized this shed is all metal so it is a virtual Faraday Cage! and that is why I feel so calm in here and almost always want to fall asleep in that most rare and delicious way that happens naturally from an almost opiate relaxed state, *as opposed* to the falling out or passing out from exhaustion or overly mental states. In the shed, I simply *fall into* a tranquil state, I feel my body melting, and my mind just goes quiet, *shuts off* if you will,......I'm suddenly in The Zone.
I fall into a spontaneous meditation zone when I go in there, and that is because of the Faraday Cage effect. I dont' even have to work for a meditative state, I just fall into it. Lovely!

Find a metal shed people, and zone out.

So, this project is done and satisfying.
I can't wait to do the matching Tea Table, maybe with the same mandala, maybe with another which sounds more interesting to me. I can't get it out of my head, so it needs to be done. More on that later.

Beauty Blessings
Serena



5 comments:

  1. I really like this project! Thanks for sharing this with us!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay,you! Thank you for sharing. I'm excited to see if the Faraday Cage theory will work for me. I desperately need some Zen Zone time. Great idea about yoga seat. I too, am having difficulty sitting crossed legged for long periods of time. This will surely remedy that problem. Blessings and happiness to you! P.S. Oh....so sorry, off topic, but what is the name of the pink paint you used for your living room? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Unknown! :D....thanks for reading and writing. Glad you appreciate the idea, and especially the Faraday Cage effect!
    No apologies for any question of any kind at all.
    The paint....I searched high and low for the shades of pink I always see in French decor literally in France....and this pretty much nails it....that pink I used is especially nice, its beigy pink, classic of French Pink shades, its by Behr Low VOC
    in "Iced Cherry"....Home Depot. Good Luck.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can feel the Zen and calm from your post. I recently created a Zen Den. Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whoohoo! Thank you so much for the paint name. I've been searching for a match. I wanted it to be just like yours. Now thanks to you it will. I plan to paint my kitchen and dinning room that color. Hopefully they will look as cozy and inviting as your enchanting French cottage. Blessings, Melissa

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated and responded to when possible.