My photo
"Where better to care for the soul than in the details of our daily lives?....The soul has an absolute, unforgiving need for regular excursions into enchantment. It requires them like the body needs food and the mind needs thought... An enchanted world is one that speaks to the soul, to the mysterious depths of the heart and imagination where we find value, love and union with the world around us. As mystics of many religions have taught, that sense of rapturous union can give a sense of fulfillment that makes life purposeful and vibrant." ~ Thomas Moore.

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Easy Botanicals For Walls, John's Room and Kitty

Hello Everyone....

thanks to all who responded and commented on my last post about my new life, and thank you for being concerned. My heart was touched. I did not respond, but I read all comments. I usually always respond, but I'm in a delayed funk due to the traumas of last year, so forgive my unresponsiveness in public, but know I read every one with love.

First a pic of my front yard .....I just love this view! This morning was picturesque....very misty, the moon hanging golden yellow and fully round between the trees and all else was barely lit by this light.....moonlight reflecting in the new lake we have from flooding, but its a lake for now, looking really pretty in moonlight with pure white egrets playing in them. It was breathtaking.






In light of day.....the solar bird fountain and Urn.....I just love these views.



Today I have just a short post in keeping with bloglandia and projects of beautification, and because I could not find such easy inspiration for botanicals framed, I thought I'd share mine.

In moving to this house I wanted special things for hanging on my walls. Unlike the last house there was little wall space and I had few pictures, but here there is lots of space for hanging things. I want  things which I absolutely love and preferably can make myself. One of them is macrame. Yes, that old craft, but have you seen what those genius women are doing with macrame these days? A quick search in google images or pinterest will show you the absolutely stunning pieces being made with macrame and the wonderful uses for them. I thought it would be a good thing for me to do when I cannot go out which is most days due to over 100 degree temps and humidity, and so I bought some rope and got ready to do some projects on youtube, and those lovely women show you from start to finish how to make them. I love the sharing of women! But this post is about botanicals.

I have always love those botanicals of leaves and fern, actual plants framed in zinc frames with double floating glass and chain hangers. They used them alot in older days and to decorate greenhouses and such, but now I want to see them on my own walls. In searching out where to get those frames, they are not common to find the zinc frame with double glass and chain, and when you do the price is prohibitive. I spent lots of time searching but usually nothing comes up, or is sold out. So I go to the usual do-it-yourself mode and I went searching for frames I could use. I wanted narrow frames, preferably wood that I could attach eyelet hook and chain to, but those got to be pricey too. I looked at many pictures and found I loved even those not framed in wood. I decided to just find what simple frames in white I could and frame the leaves and just see. I did and loved it.

So I am going to just tell you simply what I did. I went to Hobby Lobby and Walmart and bought a dozen or so frames, most of them cheap, less than 2 dollars and went to work. I love and adore my Maidenhair Ferns.....which do very well inside with moderate light and lots of water, and I notice also many if not most botanicals also use this fern because it is so light and flat, easy to lie between glass and backing. I also have other types of ferns, and I love these leaves and were what I wanted to frame. We also have largo Sago Palms by the front of the house and I used those, but we needed really long frames, at least 36 inches long by 12" wide, which we also found in walmart in poster frame section of frames. Basically Walmart had all the frames I needed. So you will need the wall space, the frames, the plant material and cotton gloves to keep from smudging the glass (or plexiglass) of the frames. Trust me this can become an issue. Wear gloves.



So basically, I will just tell you, since I didn't do a step by step thing, is to buy the frames in sizes that will both fit the leaves you are using and the wall you are hanging it on. You can use a single leaf or make a design with several leaves, mix up the species or whatever. You can even use flower petals and such but this can go into more talent than I have right now. However, some women are doing absolutely amazing things with Flower Petal Art as well. But you will need to know what kind of wall space you have, know where you are going to put your frame/s, or a collection of them. An entire wall of botanicals is beautiful, timeless and classy.

I simply removed the packaging, use the advert paper that comes behind the glass by turning it over so I have a white background instead of the cardboard backing, chose good perfect leaves from my plants, arranged them on the white paper, replaced the glass, and was done.
I do not know how long these will last in the frame, but because no oxygen gets in there, the leaves will stay green for a while, and even if they turn brown will still be lovely specimens. I just love how easy to make they are and how beautiful they are whether fresh green or aged.


Johns Room:
Now I know there is nothing grand about this, but the key here is COMPARED to his last room or feral dwelling, this is an extreme improvement and worthy of note and post.

Mostly this idea was something I wanted to do for my room and around the house, but John's room needed to be done whilst he was on vacation last week, and I thought I'd surprise him with some of my own art botanicals for his walls. But I had to explain it to him because he didn't know what they were or what he wanted to see in his "new" room, and had no ideas, so I had to show him some pics of those botanicals. He liked them and then said yes, he'd like some for his room.
We went for neutrals, beiges, (sounds boring but wait), whites, and touches of gold.
We first had to find some curtains for his room because we still had hung up there some fluffy, ruffled turquoise girls curtains, and I was getting antsy about those in his room so we had to look up curtains for men to give him some ideas as to what he wanted and we found some really cool ones with scenery that take up the entire wall. I had never seen them. We both liked one pair of a scene of trees, an old pier, and water in light tones. He decided to get those because he didn't want to think about it anymore (because the past 3 minutes were already stressful).
And because those curtains would take up an entire wall, those colors became the theme for his room. He also wanted to paint his brown furniture white, which we did. (I am so tired of painting,  OMG). We also bought a bed quilt and shams, wood crates to store things like shoes and what he likes to throw around, but mostly I had his laptop in mind, to hide miles of cords he has, and organized every item he owns, so everything now is really clean, light and the energy is unlike anything I've ever felt in his room. He even said it feels light and that he loves it.

Today I finished his room adding finishing touches to a room he already loved. I gold leafed the top of a small chest, because he needed some reflective things in there to reflect the sun and candles I planned to put in and to relfect the touches of gold in the birch tree print over his bed. I spray painted his old candleholders gold for the beeswax tapers, did the botanical wall, and I am waiting for moon light to come in the mail. :D John loves astronomy and the celestial bodies, and there is a light that is an exact copy of the moon, it looks just like the moon and I thought he needed that in there, but it has been delayed till next week. He doesn't know what I ordered so it will surprise him.  I saved a spot for it by his bedside table.



So here are some pics of his room and the botanicals. Sorry I didn't explain more about the making of them, but it really is so simple, there is nothing else but what I said. lol.

He has a chair in his room now. He didn't want to move his bed, he said because "I like it where it is"....but I know it was because he didn't want to move it, you know, exertion and all. sigh. But I explained some things etc, we moved it and found he had lots more space and even had room for a chair which I explained he could use to just chill or work on his laptop. I took mine from the guest room, put it in and now he loves it. I have learned this lesson a thousand times......do not listen to what john says....it is all based on laziness and a visceral petulance that cries "I don't want to". So.....now he loves it, the extra room and his new chair and he feels so proud. Yes, he thanked me. But he hasn't seen these finishing touches, the botanicals, the candlesticks and beeswax tapers, or the real fern plant, etc. :D:D:D....he will love his room even more. Oh, there is an empty shadow box between the candles on the wall....we have to work on that together. He thinks its so cool the shadow box for the wall, (never had seen them before) and wants some branches, pinecones, moss etc in there but we'll go through my stash of lichen branches, mosses etc, and do it together.
His laptop, mouse and cords are all in the crate, which he simply pulls out and uses on his new chair. He feels all grown up now.

So he goes from something I would never post online,.....to this...a clean but dismal space......






to this........a fresh room clean, decorated, organized, efficient, tones soothing to spirit, and airy.....






 These are the floor to ceiling scenery curtains sorry I'm not an expert photographer but you can look on amazon. (I don't like to post links anymore because some funky thing happens with those and pictures etc disappear from my posts and leave them looking like an abandoned site, sorry)  These curtains can border on cheesy but these are ok. There are all kinds of these scenery curtains but we chose something of nature with natural colors and tones. He loves them and I think they're so cool. When the sun goes down it comes straight in through this western window and lights up the pier. I often find myself sitting in the chair and gazing "out there".





You can't see here but he has a raw silk bedskirt I gave him because it matches these tones.
 



John bought a model of the truck he likes to manifest it into his life. I made sure it has lots of flowers in the bed part as that is what I want more of in my life.

Magical Lesson:

I have been finding that those things I have brought into my home, are now in my life for real.....like the birds nests I collect when they are left.....now I keep finding birds wanting to build nests in my plants, not any of the hundreds of trees around here, but my plants. Also the pine cones I bought, glittered and hung on a grapevine, and one on my bed netting. Now I live in a place surrounded by pine trees and pine cones. Also I collect special specimens of deer and now I live with real deer in my back yard woods, rabbits, and on and on and on....what I bring into my home, manifests in my real world. That is the magical lesson for those of you who read this far on my little blog. Take heed! Magic is afoot! lolol


 



 I put a few botanicals in my room. The top one is ivy, and the bottom fern. One on the side has 3 different ferns from plants I have in the house.










So there you have it, simple easy botanicals for walls, with incredible beauty and so easy and cheap to make. I hope you have fun with this.

And last but not least, here is my new kitten......her name is Sarah. We had to name her something other than what her  personality inspired which is what I thought I'd do, but nothing good came up except Tiny Terror, Houdini, Motor Mouth, Freakazoid, Little Beast and such....so we decided to give her a lady name to grow into. Sigh! Fingers crossed :D:D:D She is A.D.O.R.A.B.L.E. !! A terror, but this phase passes, right?!









5 comments:

  1. You have been so busy and his room looks wonderful. Did you know that the M on Sarah's forehead means her great great great etc. Grandmother was in the manger when Baby Jesus was born, she cuddled up and kept Him warm!! I am so happy for all of the lovely things you are experiencing!!xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. NO I did not know what M means, though the woman who was giving these kitties away had made mention of the M, but not what it means! Maybe that is why I could literally think of NO other name for her than Sarah and let me tell you I have been creative in the past! That is the name of Jesus and Magdalenes daughter! Thanks for telling me that. THAT is a magical message for ME LOLOL. How special. <3

      Delete
  2. Stunning <3 kisses so Sarah, beloved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. John's room turned out so cool! Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, first of all...hellooo Sarah! Adorable! So very nice to meet you, I do declare! :) She is destined to become the most charming and sweet Southern Kitteh you ever did meet! My dearest, you weave magic, and seeing the loveliness you create makes me crazy giddy, and I have been looking at Cob houses again, and getting inspired...oh boy. I love love love the pressed plants in frames...and how lucky is John? :) What a peaceful, gentleman's room...and of course, I am beyond inspired by the beauty of your room...bliss...tight hugs...xoxoxoxoxo

    ReplyDelete

Your thoughts and comments are always appreciated and responded to when possible.